Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Just too busy

I can understand now why Pees doesn't update her blog (http://carlzp.blogspot.com) that often. It's really quite hard to find the time. That and it has been difficult lately for me to get on a good rant, I think I've just been too content with life. But today I think I'm in the right mindset.

I'm quite disappointed at today's block-buster (or lack-luster) movie scene. I mean honestly, what has Hollywood put out lately that was of any worth.

I think the Hollywood producers have caught on to the "1000 monkeys in a room with 1000 typewriters could come up with Shakespeare" concept and ran with it. Except they were too cheap to pay for any more than 10 monkeys and the scripts now reflect.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh. There have been SOME passable movies in the last few years. There just doesn't seem so be a great number of them coming to mind at the moment.

Ok, so over the last year there was Pirates of the Caribean 2, Munich, Lord of War and.... Nope, that's pretty much it. Ok, sure there were some others that might have been a 4 out of 5 stars too, but all in all not a memorable piece of cinema came out of main-stream Hollywood in the past 12 months.

You know how long ago Humphrey Bogart said "Here's lookin at you kid" or Igrid Bergman said "Play it Sam"? Sixty Four years! Casablanca was made in 1942! People that were born 40 years after the movie was made still know those quotes. Can you imagine, in 64 years time, someone going "why is the rum gone?" and have someone else recognise that is was from Pirates of the Caribbean? Not bloody likely.

So what am I going to do about this? Nothing. I'm no author. But that's not going to stop me bitching about it. Surely though there are some writers out there that still have some GOOD new ideas.

Which reminds me... WTF!!! Who the hell decided it would be a good idea to take the works of Shakespeare, and "adapt" them into a f*cking idiotic, hormone fuelled teen-romp!?!?!?!

- Romeo & Juliet (Baz Luhrmann, 1996). Ok, not bad, at least they stuck to the script and story line. Nice work Baz.

- 10 Things I Hate About You (Gil Junger, 1999). So, you've taken "Taming the Shrew" and turned it into complete and utter drivel. Tsk tsk tsk. I'm not angry Gil, I'm just disappointed.

- Get Over It (Tommy O'Haver, 2001). NO! Bad dog! I cannot believe the bastard's have ruined "a Midsummer Night's Dream". Oh my god they just keep getting worse. And that was one of my favourites.

- She's the Man (Andy Fickman, 2006) Oh crap, not "Twelfth Night" too... Now, I haven't seen this particular movie, and until I'm EXTREMELY bored and there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING else to do, will I ever see this movie (it was under these circumstances that I saw "10 Things" & "Get Over It"), but I'd wager that it is just as amazingly crap-tacular as they were.

Honestly, these stories are classics. They have stood the test of time, there is no need to change them into yet another stupid teen romp. If they insist on using a little artistic lisence, why can't they come up with their own idea and ruin that, rather than destroying a work of genius.

Someone must stop these people, before they get their hands on the works of Geoffrey Chaucer.

Well, that's my rant for today. So until the next time I feel rather annoyed at nothing in particular, adieu.

2 comments:

Carlz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carlz said...

Hey, I didn't know you had a blog!

Speaking of movies, nothing can top the Spice Girls movie Ads!

Te he!