Thursday, October 19, 2006

Maroubra Beach Seals Club

So I figured I'd go check out what all the fuss is about. If anyone has been reading my sister Sarah's blog, you may have read about the "el-cheapo" meals they have on offer down at the Maroubra Beach surf club.

Now I wasn't expecting a 5 star meal for $5.50. And I certainly didn't get a 5 star meal. But what I did get was a huge feed. I was definately fulfilled when my plate was empty. A nice ratio of chicken to chips. The addition of tomato sauce to the chips definately brought out the flavour of the chips, or was it the tomato in the sauce..? Hard to say really. But in any case, it's possibly the 2nd best $5.50 meal I've ever had.

But I'm rambling, as the meal was hardly the high-light of the night. The draw card was definately the good old fashioned Aussie meat tray raffle (of course not including the chance to have a long over due beer with my sister). Seriously though, the meat tray raffle was huge. They gave out at least 15 trays. And 4 of them were a side of lamb. Now that's what I call a prize.

When I walked up to the girl who was selling the tickets, I had $4 in my pocket. 6 numbers for $1. Bargain. So i walked away with 24 numbers and a vey comfy feeling that I might just win some meat.

As they started drawing the numbers in the "random" number generator, I began to realise that my odds were very slim. There seemed to be a lot of people, with A LOT of numbers. Like, groups that had pooled together over $100 to buy a crap-load of tix.

The atmosphere was electric as the first 10 numbers were called. I was so close. At one point, I was only 200 numbers off. Damn, the rush of it all was just intense.

Well, I could rubbish on about the excitement, but I dare say it'd be quite boring to read. So instead I'll cut to the point and let you know that I came home meat-less.

Well there's always monday night. BINGO! What are the lovely prizes they're giving out? Why more meat trays of course! If the surf club becomes a bit of a tradition, I may have to invest in a deep freezer to keep all my meat tray fresh.

*** as a side note *** Sarah called the Surf club an "RSL" which it isn't. I'm not poking fun at her. Far from it. I'm actually saving her reputation. Since her admission that she likes to punch people in the face, I thought I'd re-affirm that she ain't no bogan, A.

2 comments:

Carlz said...

Man it sounds like you two are really living the high life there in Sydney... guess you can't beat a $5.50 meal, it's almost up there with the sausage sizzle outside Bunnings on the weekend... two sausages in bread for $4, can't go wrong!

Carlz said...

Ahhh, this comment moderations thing sucks... I wrote a comment then it went away, now all my work talking about how much better two sausages in bread outside Bunning on a weekend are than chicken and chips for $5.50... well that was it really!